[Sugar-devel] Show Must Go On - SoaS for the XO-1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 17 04:40:31 EDT 2009

On 17.06.2009, at 10:28, S Page wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Sebastian Dziallas<sebastian at when.com
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm very pleased to announce the first early preview of a new
>> generation
>> of SoaS XO-1 images.
> Excellent news, thanks!

I indeed!

>> Put them on a USB key or a SD card, plug them into your XO ...
> Yes!
>
>> ... and execute:
>>
>> copy-nand u:\devxo-1.img or copy-nand sd:\devxo-1.img
>
> Nooo, I want to keep my working 8.2.1 in NAND.  Can I simply boot my
> XO from the USB or SD card?

No, these images are meant for NAND install. For USB/SD we'd need yet
another image, OLPC used to provide ext3 ones.

People should be aware that this is a one-way street. Once you run
this new Sugar version, the Journal contents will be converted to a
new format. AFAIK it cannot be reverted back to the older format.

Actually, Sebastian, there should be a big WARNING in your
announcements about this ...

> If not, is http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_backup_your_XO the best
> way to save my precious 8.2.1 image?

Yes, that would be the only option to go back.

- Bert -