[Sugar-devel] Show Must Go On - SoaS for the XO-1

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 04:28:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Sebastian Dziallas<sebastian at when.com> wrote:

> I'm very pleased to announce the first early preview of a new generation
> of SoaS XO-1 images.
Excellent news, thanks!

> Put them on a USB key or a SD card, plug them into your XO ...
Yes!

> ... and execute:
>
> copy-nand u:\devxo-1.img or copy-nand sd:\devxo-1.img

Nooo, I want to keep my working 8.2.1 in NAND.  Can I simply boot my
XO from the USB or SD card?  I've got an 8GB SD card, I would think
that a 2 GB root, 1 GB additional storage, 1 GB swap would perform
well.
Is there an xo-to-disk.sh script similar to the various transformation
scripts described in http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/rawhide-xo/ ?
If not, is http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_backup_your_XO the best
way to save my precious 8.2.1 image?

<clueless musing>
It seems build engineers go to a a lot of effort to create multiple
ginormous downloads in .img/.usb/.iso/.bootable.gz formats when
they're 99% the same files laid out in different file system(s) with
appropriate boot, config, and partition info.  Could some day a tool
like LiveUSB Creator download only updated files from the net and
create whatever image,read-only CD, or bootable/writable USB the user
wants?  That may be ambitious, but it seems much like what Linux
graphical installers do.
</clueless>

--
=S Page