[Sugar-devel] learning implode...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jun 17 04:05:39 EDT 2009

My daughter, who is 3 years and 7 months old has largely stayed away
from the XO (or for that matter computers in general) other than
mimicking me by turning on the XO and giving our guests/visitors an
unexpected short speech on "let me show you this computer. This is the
one laptop per child". She still likes her crayons and Lego blocks.

She's on her summer break at home these days, which has forced me to
get creative and keep her engaged. I introduced her to implode
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Implode) today. I showed her how to move
the "arrow" (she insists that I call it an arrow and not a mouse
because calling it a mouse is just silly) start a new implode game and
select three or more blocks of the same color. The goal is to get that
smiley face at the end of the game. One demo, plus some hints, and in
under three minutes, my daughter has become an implode player.
I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E !!! She even taught her mother how to play the
game later this evening.

For all the arm chair naysayers out there, get with the program!
Children are amazing!!!

cheers,
Sameer
--