[Sugar-devel] Show Must Go On - SoaS for the XO-1

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Wed Jun 17 03:37:19 EDT 2009

Hi everybody,

I'm very pleased to announce the first early preview of a new generation
of SoaS XO-1 images. Those consist not only of the latest and greatest
Sugar bits, but also a F11 base system and a special OLPC kernel based
on 2.6.30.

This means now that even power management actually works out of the box.
There are some other points, for example the mostly working keyboard
keys. But this is really just a preview!

You'll notice only very few activities in your home view, which is due
to a mistake in our config files. You'd be able to symlink the folders
from /usr/share/sugar/honey to ~/Activities, though. This is a known
issue, but if you come across others, please let us know!

Finally, I'd like to take the chance to thank all the people for their
tremendous work, especially Martin Dengler and all the folks at OLPC!

Now how can you get that? Just download the following two files:

http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/xoimages/devxo-1.crc
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/xoimages/devxo-1.img

Put them on a USB key or a SD card, plug them into your XO and execute:

copy-nand u:\devxo-1.img or copy-nand sd:\devxo-1.img

Note that you'll need to have an unlocked XO and the latest firmware!

So. Happy hacking and let us know what you think! :)

--Sebastian