[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2009-06-15

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jun 16 03:42:56 EDT 2009

2009/6/16 NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu>:
> I think you do not get what is so "special" with Android.
>
> 1. They killed the braindamaged X driver model and put the driver where it
> belongs, the kernel. Just like Windows NT and OS-X already did. Finally it
> is fast and really supports hardware acceleration! Did I mention that it has
> redraw profiling tools?
> 2. Python is already available on Android:
> http://www.damonkohler.com/2008/12/python-on-android.html
>
> The "porting" is not about running Python Sugar on Android but to implement
> the parts missing from Android in java.
> a. Activities store their data into a per activity file area and an SQLite
> instance. A common data publishing interface should be defined. The Journal
> should became just an aggregation.
> b. There is no peer to peer networking. I should be written. 802.11s will be
> dropped in XO 1.5 anyway.
> c. There is no common document format defined to share data between
> activities. Work is already happening on this one.
> d. There is no printing support. Hmmm, I have heard this before.
> So IMHO the job would not be to port Python since the lame Python VM would
> be just as lame on ARM. If you really want to port things then here is the
> thing:
> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/05/canonical-developers-aim-to-make-android-apps-run-on-ubuntu.ars
>
> Of course this is just the (easier) technical side. The people side is a
> totally different beast.
>
> Currently, as I see, both OLPC and Sugar developers spend a massive amount
> of time fighting platform problems when the solution is already available.

Please don't tell people what they should be working on. If you want
to see something happen, get to work yourself. If developers are not
participating in this discussion is because we have already shipped
products and now about all the hidden costs that you are so happily
jumping over. And of course, are busy making things happen instead of
talking.

Not saying that a great educational platform cannot be built on
Android, just that this is obviously not the moment to be considering
it when we have hundreds of thousands of people using the existing
Sugar.

Good luck with your new project,

Tomeu