[Sugar-devel] Physics Roadmap

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jun 15 22:20:31 EDT 2009

Hi Asaf,

On 14 Jun 2009, at 20:06, Asaf Paris Mandoki wrote:

> I was slightly confused how to get the motor to work initially. I
> didn't realise it was a 'pin' like tool, I assumed it would just add
> rotation torque to an object. Is that possible as well with the
> current code? The first thing I wanted to try was a car with wheels
> but the current motor effect is pinned in place.
> I just added a button for a feature that was already there but was
> hidden. I'm not sure how possible it is with a minor modification.
>
> On a separate task, do you mind if I clean up the toolbar so it
> operates as a real set of radio buttons, indicating state correctly?
> I can then also get rid of the "Current tool: <tool>" white text in
> the main canvas.
> That will be great.
>
> I'll also likely add a centre dot to your current motor icon so it
> is more clearly a pin point type tool :-)
>
> I think it is better to modify the behavior of the tool. It's much
> more versatile the way you thought it would be. I'll write to the
> coordinator of the Elements project to get the documentation and see
> how to get that implemented.
>
> I'll start working with the journal integration then. Once I have
> something commitable I'll create a new branch if necessary.
>
> OK, Journal integration would be great! I'll make sure to make no
> edits out side of the toolbar work, to try and avoid merge
> conflicts. Shout if you want me to hold off on my toolbar changes
> for now, I don't want to slow you up.
>
> I still have to do some research and see how Alex implemented the
> journal integration in x2o so I think it will take me some time. Go
> ahead with the toolbar modifications.

Had a fairly productive evening here on Physics, worth a git pull if
you want a play :-)

- Fixed radio buttons so tools are added to a group (toolbar now
correctly shows state).
- Added accelerators for UI visibility and cleaned up tool key
handling event code.
- Removed text (printed white on white canvas!) now toolbar correctly
displays state.
- Renamed some tools and adjusted key accelerators (all tools now have
a key).
- Default behaviour of poly tool a solid rather than decomposed
triangles (much more useful), old behaviour still there via 2nd mouse
button.

I vaguely remember some discussion/friction about that last change,
but defaulting to decomposed triangles is pretty useless if you are
trying to build something. Hope I didn't put anyone nose out of joint,
but there are way more educational uses for complex polys rather than
just trying to show all polys decompose to triangles ;-)

I'm going to do some more tomorrow. Now the accelerator keys are in,
and radio toolbar behaviour is fixed, I'll have a go at adding the
play/stop toolbar toggle so the feature is exposed in the UI and not
just a hidden  SPACE keyboard shortcut.

Oh darn, my marble pusher contraption jammed again ;-)