[Sugar-devel] Problem using sugar-update-control to update large (100+ MB) activity bundles

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Jun 15 16:47:57 EDT 2009

On 06/15/09 16:37, Bryan Berry wrote:
> I want to use rsync but I need a mechanism that the users (kids) can
> initiate through a simple GUI, like the current Activity Update
> mechanism.

Rsync's unique capability to transmit only changed blocks within
large files requires using the real rsync:// protocol.  It won't
work over dumb protocols such as http:// .

This means you'd have to change both the client-side
(sugar-update-control, fairly simple) and the server side
(in our case Mozilla Addons, fairly complex).

We could easily export the "files" directory of Mozilla Addons with
rsync://, and the activity updater could use it when available.

Exporting all the activities.sugarlabs.org data in an easily
mirrorable format would also be a useful service for deployments
that want to create a local mirrors.

In fact, all our public data should also be made available in
raw formats for easy mirroring.