[Sugar-devel] Epub and Read

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:52:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:12, Sayamindu Dasgupta<sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have been working on getting Epub support into Read, and here is the
>> first screenshot:
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/screenshot_read_epub.png
>>
>> It is not based on Evince, but on webkit (I had tried to implement a
>> backend for Evince, but lack of well defined pagination in many
>> (most??) Epub files, along with the relative difficulty of rendering
>> HTML for evince (with things like text selection/search support)
>> forced me to choose the alternative path). I'm trying to make the epub
>> view widget follow the evince api as closely as possible, so that it
>> can be dropped into Read with minimal effort/changes.
>>
>> There is no public code yet - but there will be one soon (probably
>> during next week).
>
> Nice, looking forward for it. I'm curious about the dependencies,
> maybe in 0.86 we should add webkit to Sugar Platform.

Webkit and BeautifulSoup are the current dependencies. Webkit being
used is not the stock version, but the patches that are required at
the moment are also being used by Anjal, the email client for Moblin,
so I high hopes of them being applied to upstream very soon.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta