[Sugar-devel] [Bookreader] Epub and Read

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:49:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sayamindu - I met Peter Brantley last week, who is actively working
> with others towards a revised OPDS spec.  They are considering local
> library v. global library issues, for which an offline OLPC classroom
> provides a good example.

Yes - I'm following the discussion on the OPDS list (thanks for
pushing the discussion :-)

> A separate epub-reader that can be dropped into Read sounds
> reasonable, certainly as a model for an evince-hacker to follow if
> interested.   Do you have a screenshot that shows a pagebreak?

Actually there is no clear demarcation (as you would find in a PDF
document rendered by Evince). While the file is loaded, each
constituent XML file is divided (virtually) into pages, in a
resolution and screensize independent manner. The view widget then
keeps track of which "page" is being displayed. Scrolling is done
either line-wise, or viewable-area-wise. The concept of page comes in
to fit into Reads model of a book - where you are supposed to have
pages (though I plan to change the main/default navigation mode of
Read to "chunk-based" - as depicted in one of the original Read
mockups at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Activity_read_next.jpg).
Pages should also make it easier to do bookmarking (which should also
appear in the next official unstable version of Read)

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta