[Sugar-devel] GSoC Groupthink Update: SharedTextDemo-2

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 14 21:59:20 EDT 2009

Gary C Martin wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2009, at 01:59, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Bobby Powers wrote:
>>> Sounds great!  Are you expecting more performance gains in the future?
>>
>> Only if someone implements them!
>
> Definitely has my interest!!
>
> Useful collaboration is _really_ tough, your Groupthink potentially
> offers a generalised sync solution for many Activity authors. Concrete
> example for me: It would seem to make a good collaboration back end for
> Labyrinth mind-maps. Mind-maps are generally fairly small (XML)
> documents (at least good ones are). Labyrinth does support adding
> drawings and images as nodes, but I can try to deal with those as unique
> hashed text identities for collaborative sessions, and transfer/sync
> their actual raw content via other mechanisms when they change.
>
> Would be great to have the ability for a handful of folks to collaborate
> on creating mind-maps together in realtime.

I agree.  In fact, in groupthink_base.py there's an implementation of a
shared Tree (in the graph-theoretic sense), which I wrote while trying to
add collaboration to Tomeu's mind-map activity.*  Structures for sharing
arbitrary blobs would definitely be a welcome addition to Groupthink.

--Ben

*: There's also a SharedTreeStore in gtk_tools.py, wrapping the shared
tree into the gtk TreeStore interface.  However, neither data structure is
at all tested, and both are probably full of bugs.  I never got to try
integrating this with Tomeu's activity, because I do all my testing on
XOs, and the activity wouldn't run on 0.82