[Sugar-devel] meshing XOs with netbooks (WAS: Re: [Bugs] #79 NORM: SOAS should mesh network when possible)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Jun 14 20:32:17 EDT 2009

Hi Tomeu,

On 10 Jun 2009, at 10:18, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:16, Andrés
> Ambrois<andresambrois at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would this be as simple as a "ad-hoc" device in the frame that put
>>> the
>>> wireless into ad-hoc mode?
>>
>> http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/05/ad-hoc-wireless-networks-in-sugar.html
>>
>> As usual, Tomeu beat us all there :P
>
> This is already in git HEAD, but the patch should apply cleanly to any
> 0.84 such as Soas. If people would like to give it a try and provide
> feedback, would be awesome.

Beep. Just to note my interest on this...

If we chose a fixed network name, rather than based on buddy name
(much like olpc-mesh was), how would this behave when the actual
network owner/creator shutdown while others were connected? I'm
guessing at best it would trigger NM to recycle through the possible
network connections again, hopefully landing back on the same (or re-
creating if you happen to be first/only) named network.

Any one know if existing collaboration sessions would manage to stay
up, or all die during this?

I guess this needs testing... so if I have time will explore your
patch with the 3 XO's here (sugar-jhbuild is not playing well for me
just now with salute for testing this).

Regards,
--Gary