[Sugar-devel] Goocanvas as alternative to Hippo?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 12 11:43:31 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 17:20, Bobby Powers<bobbypowers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Jonas Smedegaard<dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>>Well, if we could replace hippo completely with something maintained
>>>by someone else, would be great. But just reducing its usage and
>>>implementing some AT-SPI hooks might be enough for now.
>>>
>>>Of course, that would help as well with accessibility.
>>
>> I have absolutely no understanding of what hippo does, except from its
>> package description in Debian, but is this perhaps a worthy alternative:
>> http://live.gnome.org/GooCanvas
>>
>> It has Python binding. :-)
>>
>> Here's a sceptical blog entry about it:
>> http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2007/10/11/goocanvas-experiences/
>
> I used goocanvas (through the python bindings) in my activity, and
> would recommend against anyone else doing the same.  It was both
> quirky and buggy, and I never got it working quite as I wanted.  I've
> been converting my activity to Gaphas, which is much nicer to use and
> gives more bang for the buck.

I have also been looking at Gaphas for a mind map activity and was
quite impressed about it, though it would be limited to
diagramming-like activities.

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/mindmap

Which is that activity you are porting to Gaphas?

> The only 'problem' is that it isn't
> packaged for Fedora, and the Debian package is out of date.  Its
> available from the cheeseshop and as source, so its not hard to bundle
> it with your activity.
> http://gaphor.devjavu.com/wiki/Subprojects/Gaphas
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/bobbyp/gaphas

Yeah, for activity authors it may be more convenient for now to
duplicate the python sources inside their bundles. Though when Gaphas
gets more mature, it will be nice to have packages.

Regards,

Tomeu