[Sugar-devel] Gsoc proposal: Speech Synthesis

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:46:22 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM, chirag jain<chiragjain1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I proposed for the speech-synthesis in Gsoc 09. My proposal can be viewed at :
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/speech-synthesis
>
> As a first phase of my development, I have implemented the speech and
> karoke style coloring of the text.

Thank you. I have long been waiting for this.

http://www.olpcnews.com/content/ebooks/effective_adult_literacy_program.html

> A basic speech configuration
> manager has also been implemented to alter the volume, pitch and rate
> of the speech.

Will it be able to handle tonal languages such as Vietnamese or Yoruba
(Nigeria)?

How would this system handle creation of voices for different
languages? Are we at the point where we can request recordings of
phoneme samples for the target languages in Pootle?

> It would be great if you can test the activity.
> Please download the speech-synthesis.zip from the link:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/speech-synthesis/downloads/list
>
> I have also included a detailed documentation of the activity.
>
> It would be great if you can send some feedbacks to me so that I can
> improve upon his activity.
>
> Regards
> --
> Chirag Jain