[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] ASLO Suggestion

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jun 11 10:22:50 EDT 2009

On 11 Jun 2009, at 14:10, Sean DALY wrote:

> Bert - many thanks, I understand much better now.
>
> We're expecting a traffic peaks at the end of the month with our media
> push, that's why this work on clarity/simplicity is important.
>
> I'm afraid "Fructose" as a left-hand category on ASLO is obscure, it
> really should be "base" or "core" or "base install", this last I like
> best because it's very clear. Note: a search for "Fructose" in ASLO
> returns no results!
>
> I actually don't think it's that hard to set a list; it's really just
> a Get Started list which covers online/offline, younger/older
> Learners, and super-helpful to have even if off-ring (Terminal...).
>
> I agree some deployments will want to zap some Activities, but as long
> as it's clear that there's no technical barrier to doing so we're
> fine.
>
> The list of 13 Fructose Activities at
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/fructose/
> does not match the list of 11 Fructose Activities on ASLO
> (http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/browse/type:1/cat:112?sort=name
> ).
> I imagine Image is off the bus (replaced by Image Viewer), but is the
> omission of Write intentional? I couldn't find it on ASLO at all :-(
>
> (N.B. Write is always the first Activity I choose to demonstrate
> classroom collaboration; people understand collaboration instantly
> when each of two machines can edit the same document live. My kids'
> nanny who is in her early 60s and does not use computers understood
> right away the usefulness of XOs in a classroom when she saw that, she
> got all excited and started asking me questions!)
>
> So I think the ASLO Fructose list, plus Write, can certainly be
> qualified as 12 "base install" Activities:
>
> Browse
> Calculate
> Chat
> Etoys
> ImageViewer
> Jukebox
> Log
> Pippy
> Read
> Terminal
> TurtleArt
> Write
>
> However I think it would be judicious to add Help to this list. Help
> is very reassuring during discovery of the totally unfamiliar
> interface. I'm aware there are issues right now building a new Help
> from the FLOSS Manuals source, but I believe Help aids teachers and
> parents significantly with the Sugar GUI learning curve.

Can I raise "Populate Journal with a handful of useful/exemplary
items" trac ticket:

	http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/840

And suggest that we start using the Journal as a journal, rather than
trying to create monoliths. Why not just take the help content break
it into it's sections/chapters and add each as a PDF** entry with a
nice title, description, and set of tags. That way anyone can go into
Journal and type, "help turtle" and will be given the sections about
turtle art.

** I'm just choosing PDF as it's support is mature in the current
Sugar platform. Splitting up the help content will improve accuracy of
search and avoid the memory issues of opening single large documents.

> Are there any other candidates today for the Fructose list we should
> consider? Not to open a can of worms - adjusting the pantheon is much
> less urgent than the discoverability/usability issues - but a review
> before each SoaS version seems judicious to me, especially since a
> choice needs to be made about which Activities are in the ring and
> which are off. I would suggest:

FWIW: As an Activity author I've long resisted any of my stuff going
into Fructose. The whole point of Activities is that they are
divisible from the base distribution and can be developed out of sync
from the core Sugar platform. The harder you try to glue them all
together as one great lump, the more brittle the whole development and
release process is going to get.

For me, the only reason for Fructose is for those Activities
considered an essential part of the Sugar platform, i.e without Browse
it's going to be tough to install other Activities, without Read you
won't be able to read documentation. Most Activities ended up in
Fructose because their developers were also 'core' developers (those
also working on the core Sugar platform), and they usually needed
specific Activities to actually test and exercise the various features
they were working on and integrating in Sugar.

Fructose is a technical term used by developers, it's also mutable as
Activities fall in and out of it over time.

Regards,
--Gary

> [...]
> what, but its name and logo will be irresistible to parents and
> teachers.
>
> OLPC has their list (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/All) and we
> need to get that page to link to ASLO, the information there is uneven
> (contains some stillborn/abandonware). Perhaps the easiest fix would
> be to link from each Activity position on that page to that Activity's
> ASLO page; people searching the Activity population would quickly
> understand the different/parallel nature of the OLPC page and ASLO. As
> far as I know, there aren't any issues with the very latest versions
> running on XO-1s, would I be correct in assuming this? Or does OLPC
> prefer to identify "known good" version, the ones updated through the
> XO Control Panel?
>
> Google search ranks highly this 6-month-old page:
> http://www.spitting-image.com/OLPC/ , an indicator of the need for
> ASLO's rating system.
>
> By "Activity Pack" I mean a set of Activities.
> * Activity Set: clear and concise, but dullish.
> * Activity Pack: implies a "box" containing a bunch of chosen
> Activities; my favorite, because it sounds like you're getting
> something.
> * Activity Group: will be confused with Learners.
> * Activity Bundle: bundle clearly means something already, so that's
> out. I'm afraid I don't know what a "content bundle" is.
> * Activity Hive: fits with honey metaphor, but obscure.
>
> Activity packs can have a very useful role in promoting Sugar, e.g.
> "our updated Multimedia Pack is perfect for budding musicians and
> artists" or "our Games Pack has been specially selected for 2 or more
> player learning fun". As our Activity offer becomes richer, we
> encourage potential installers to jump through the hoops of
> downloading an ISO, installing VirtualBox or loading a USB stick,
> learning the new interface, etc.
>
> Echoing James' mail which started the thread, I agree Featured
> Activities will ideally be:
>
> * non- base install
> * interesting
> * different each month, encouraging return traffic
>
> In short, the place to go for "extras" beyond what you start out with.
>
> The "base install" grouping will be very useful to replace an
> accidentally deleted Activity or offer further information about an
> Activity with a learning curve (link to author's page etc).
>
> A parent or teacher who successfully installs Sugar and then
> successfully upgrades and adds to its Activities will fully understand
> the key advantages of the platform's openness and extensibility.
>
> Does this seem like a good path?
>
> thanks
>
> Sean
>

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Bert Freudenberg<bert at freudenbergs.de
> > wrote:
>>
>> On 11.06.2009, at 09:51, Sean DALY wrote:
>>
>>> ultimately, the question is: are there (or not) Activities common to
>>> every, or nearly every instance of Sugar?

>>> Read
>>> Write