[Sugar-devel] meshing XOs with netbooks (WAS: Re: [Bugs] #79 NORM: SOAS should mesh network when possible)

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:58:26 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 08:20:41 pm Sean DALY wrote:
> Hmmm this is an opportunity to display my ignorance and/or confusion,
> but my XOs usually just "find" each other on the mesh... a club the
> netbooks can't belong to... so back on the XOs I have to hunt and
> click on the wireless network for each one (making the other XO
> avatars disappear, etc). There's no way to designate a favorite AP I
> guess?
>
> I had thought the jabber server was necessary for local
> collaboration... which seemed counterintuitive (two machines on the
> table needing external Internet + jabber server to see each other).
> I'll try the blank field.
>
> I hope the draft mesh in those million XOs is not too different from
> the approved mesh :-)

In [0] it says OLPC's 802.11s implementation is based in draft 0.1, I'm
guessing there are extensive changes from that to the current version 3.0.

There's more details on the differences with the IEEE proposal in [1], there
seems to be several things that might make them incompatible.

[0] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mesh_Network_Details
[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Path_Discovery_Mechanism:Differences_from_80211s
--
  -Andrés