[Sugar-devel] meshing XOs with netbooks (WAS: Re: [Bugs] #79 NORM: SOAS should mesh network when possible)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Jun 9 18:50:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:33:12AM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> outside bugtracker
>
> I'm not aware of the existence of any 802.11s USB adapters which could
> be plugged into a netbook for mesh.

Why would you want one?  Most netbooks have one of 802.11{a,b,g},
which will serve Sugar use cases perfectly well (arguably, better).
Part of the reason that you can't find any 802.11s USB adaptors could
be that it was ratified only weeks ago:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11/Reports/tgs_update.htm

> That said may be a silly question but I'm a bit mystified about
> getting my meshed XO-1s to play with my SoaS netbooks, I have them
> join the same wifi AP but how to bridge a mesh network with a 802.11g
> or draft N?

If they're on the same wifi AP then they'll be talking to the jabber
server and coordinating via that.  Nothing else Layer 5 or below to
worry about.  If you really want to bridge an 802.11s network with an
802.11g network, then there's nothing Sugar-/XO-specific about it.

> Sean

Martin