[Sugar-devel] OT: determining memory usage of short-lived processes

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Jun 9 08:57:02 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 05:31:59AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:

>> I've examined memory usage of long running processes (i.e. daemons
>> and applications) in the past, no problems. But for my VCS comparison
>> I need to determine the peak memory usage of all child processes
>> (combined), which are rather short-lived. What's the best way to do
>> that?
> atop, vmstat, sar,
These are system-level tools and don't tell me anything about a
particular process.

> pidstat,
Doesn't support memory statistics if used with child processes and
probably won't work with short-lived processes.

> sa, accton
Up to now closest to what I'm looking for, thanks! I gives average
memory size instead of peak, though.

> Never rule out valgrind. Find a way.
Well, the way is to either let the benchmark run for several days or
reduce the sample size (and thus accuracy). I had hoped there's some way
to avoid that.

> Valgrind supports tools that you can use to discover where you suffer
> from cache line misses. Valgrind finds any use of uninitialized
> memory.
While quite useful during development, these won't help me with
comparing memory usage of existing VCSs (the "massif" valgrind tool does
help, though).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/