[Sugar-devel] [math4] Activity Awards, Activity Alerts

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Jun 8 13:23:20 EDT 2009

David,

Your suggestion got me thinking about how this kind of reward system
could be used with my own Activities, which involve reading.  I think I
have a notion which might be worth pursuing.  The biggest problem with
reading on the XO is finding books.  The books are out there, but
they're scattered all over the place.  What would be good is a kind of
message board that has the following features:

1).  Allows learners and teachers to create their own accounts.  They
would need to log in to do anything on the message board.

2).  You would have forums based on grade level.  First graders would
have a forum, second graders would have their own, etc.

3).  You could do the following functions:

* Submit a book review, which always would include a link to where the
book could be downloaded.
* Comment on someone else's review.
* Award reputation points to someone else's posting.

Every activity on the board would win or lose you points.  Submit a new
book review and you get points.  Make a useful comment and those who
think it useful would give you points.  Report an inappropriate posting
to the moderator and he could give you points for that.  Make an
inappropriate posting and lose points.

The idea is to build a portal that links to age-appropriate books that
the learners would maintain (with some adult moderation).  Once you got
enough reputation points you would get some meaningful and
reading-related reward.  Maybe your account would be granted access to
the next higher forum.  Or you would be allowed to download something
special.  Your avatar would indicate your status, so any time you make a
post your post shows your current status (in other words, your status at
the present moment, not your status when you made the post originally).

You could also keep track of the most popular download links, etc. so
kids looking for something good to read would get some ideas.

James Simmons