[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Getting data about the upgrading older machines and SoaS responsiveness.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jun 8 07:21:41 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 13:03, James Zaki<james.zaki at gmail.com> wrote:
> With regards to the speed issue.
>
> I tried SoaS on a USB2.0 (but not high-speed) memory-stick, performance was
> hideous on a macbook.
> Using a USB2.0 high-speed memory-stick, performance is great on an eeepc,
> which has 1G Ram. I know its not small, but its all I have to compare with
> for now.
>
> So from what I have experienced the USB port would be the first target. I'll
> hopefully get a chance to test on low-RAM school computers tomorrow.

We should see why disk I/O is affecting so much performance. Instead
of making the disk faster we should make Sugar stop doing stupid
things (if that's indeed the case).

Anybody with performance profiling of linux system can give some hints
about which tools we can use to see why disk I/O seems to be the
bottleneck?

Thanks,

Tomeu