[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Getting data about the upgrading older machines and SoaS responsiveness.

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 13:24:34 EDT 2009

When it come to older pcs, it really makes sense to try and use LTSP. We
have created a kiwi-ltsp usb stick for openSUSE, which gives a portable ltsp
server wherever u plug it in. In most cases it would make sense for this to
be the most powerful computer. It is as easy as installing the sugar and
sugar activities meta packages on this usb image and the users on the ltsp
network then have access to Sugar from any computer in the network, and they
are bound to load faster than from a usb image. The advantage is u need one
usb stick per network, as opposed to one for each terminal... that saves
costs, and time. Also, u dont need any of the old hardware, such as cdrom
drives, hard drives, etc. Networking and internet is also no issue as if it
works on the server, it has to work on each of the terminals too...

kind Regards,
David (nubae) Van Assche