[Sugar-devel] OT: determining memory usage of short-lived processes

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sat Jun 6 15:40:18 EDT 2009

Sorry for the OT post, at least it's for my GSoC project. :)

I've examined memory usage of long running processes (i.e. daemons and
applications) in the past, no problems.
But for my VCS comparison I need to determine the peak memory usage of
all child processes (combined), which are rather short-lived. What's the
best way to do that? Performance is an issue as the benchmark already
takes 13h to run on a sample set of 100 Project Gutenberg files
(originally I had a sample size of ~800 files). That probably rules out
valgrind (AFAIK it incurs quite a performance penalty)...

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/