[Sugar-devel] More information on font scaling problem

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Jun 6 03:22:38 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:16:44AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 16:40, James Simmons<jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> > I mentioned before that I'm having a font sizing problem on the XO
> > running .82.  When I set a font on a textviewer it looks OK running
> > under sugar-devel or SoaS by is *much* larger on the XO.
>
> Sorry, in an earlier email i replied to you what would work in 0.84,
> didn't realized you were talking about 0.82.
>
> In 0.84 Pango knows the resolution of the screen and scales all fonts
> accordingly. This means that by using, say 10, the font will always
> look good in all hw.
>
> In 0.82 didn't knew about the screen, so we were scaling all fonts by
> using style.zoom().
>
> Aleksey, do you have an idea about what can do activity authors that
> wish to provide a single bundle that looks good both in 0.82 and 0.84?

Well, situation with font sizes in 0.82 was for me a bit messy
so, I just didn't use any custom font sizes(I didn't need any special ones)
But I see that James uses custom font sizes by design.

James, could you use sugar.graphics.style.FONT_SIZE for initial font size
instead of hardcoded value.

On 0.84 it will be 10 all time, on 0.82 it should be scaled.

--
Aleksey