[Sugar-devel] [math4] Activity Awards, Activity Alerts, Frame Alerts

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 19:30:51 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

FWIW, David Van Assche raised some interesting Activity ideas at
> SugarCamp Paris and I'm interested/active in getting us to at lease
> 'demo' state in the Sugar 0.86 release timeframe. The idea is to focus
> on an 'awards' mechanism/style to encourage exploration and provide
> (sometimes) unexpected rewards. Idea is that Activity authors can
> define a range of badges/medals/icons for certain behaviours/
> accomplishment in an attempt to get students to dig deeper (mix of
> 'easter eggs' and specific goals). It's mainly Activity side work (a
> demo activity to start with) but perhaps could find a home in the
> Journal (through an ability of Activity to set some private entry tag
> and for Journal to display that in a user appealing graphical form).
>
> Even for something as hard to measure as the Write Activity, there
> could be 'awards' (hidden or hinted at) for things like "found 10 or
> more collaborators for one document", "gained at least 100 words each
> from 5 or more collaborators", "wrote more than 1,000 words", "you
> used the word entomology!". The idea is many would be hidden
> ("surprise, you did something cool!") and that some initial more
> obvious and visible 'awards' would hint that others were there for
> discovery.
>
> Regards,
> --Gary
>
> P.S. Mechanisms for 'awards' could hook into services like Moodle, the
> Journal, or via collaboration (so perhaps a shared Write session would
> show awards gained by the collaborators). Having a view to show all
> Activity Awards would also be a good driver (could be an activity, or
> ideally at some point part of Journal). The general idea for awards
> drifts in from the gaming environment, where awards are used to
> increase re-playability and tempt folks to try some other possible path.

Nice concept.

Some design and code integration with Activity Alerts,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Almanac/sugar.graphics.alert,
and Frame alerts,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Frame#12<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Frame#13>
, http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Frame#13, etc. may be
appropriate.

http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/722 has some discussion.  I would like to
see more noticeable messages for chat invitation alerts, for example.  Don't
know where this is recorded for the Sugar 0.86 roadmap,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Roadmap/0.86#Proposal_Goals
?

The software infrastructure you propose could also be used for random or
rule-based, single-point lesson reminders or reinforcers of learning.

    --Fred