[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] collaboration testing session

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Fri Jun 5 16:19:00 EDT 2009

David,

Four of the Activities you will be testing use pretty much the same code
for collaboration:

sugar-read
sugar-readetexts-activity
sugar-viewslides
sugar-imageviewer

Read Etexts and View Slides use code copied from Read.  Image Viewer
says in its comments that it uses code copied from Read Etexts.  All
four basically just let you make a copy of the document that is being
shared.  Read is different from the rest because (the last time I
looked) it did not save a copy of the shared document in the Journal.
The rest do.

Another difference with Read is that it uses meta data in the PDF to
give a title to the Journal entry that is sharing the document.  Read
Etexts and View Slides don't have any meta data in their documents, so
documents received from others are given the titles "Read Etexts" or
"View Slides".  In the Neighborhood view the names of the documents
offered for sharing are clearly visible, so you'd think there would be
*some* way of getting that information from the sharing Activity so you
could update the Title in the Journal but I haven't figured out how to
do it.

View Slides displays a crude count "n of n bytes total" when it
downloads a file and this seems to work.  When I put exactly the same
code in Read Etexts it only displayed the final count, not the count in
progress.  Read Etexts uses multi threading when TTS is installed, and
maybe that is related to the reason.

Transfer of large files is *very* slow.

Hope this information is of some use.

James Simmons