[Sugar-devel] Packaging Team (Was: Journal activity release 101 not tagged in Git)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jun 5 10:22:23 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 03:10:12PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 15:00, Jonas Smedegaard<dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>>Well, I would like to see one day a Packaging Team in Sugar Labs with
>>>its space in the wiki, meetings, etc but I'm not aware of any
>>>movement yet in that direction.
>>
>> I fail to understand the purpose of such team.
>>
>> If you mean a team that produces various packages compatible with
>> various distributions, then that won't replace the needs of most
>> distributions, who would still want to care for its own official
>> packages.
>>
>> If you mean a team that provides source to distributors, then isn't
>> that a core task for the ReleaseTeam?
>
>Would be a team formed by the people that are working with each distro
>to deliver a good Sugar experience for their users.
>
>Sugar on Debian would be a product of Debian, and Sugar on Fedora
>would be a product of Fedora, but the packagers of each distro may
>find useful a space in Sugar Labs to pool information and resources.
>Or not, that's for packagers to decide.

Thanks for clarifying.

As I see it, we already share info today, e.g. through the wiki and this
list.

Ideally we distributors only customize as little as required to fit our
individual distribution policies.  Ideally reusable customization is
adopted by Sugarlabs in the core code.

I still fail to see what we might _coordinate_ that would not fit better
to do in existing sugarlabs team.

  - Jonas

- --