[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] collaboration testing session

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jun 5 10:21:50 EDT 2009

On 5 Jun 2009, at 09:24, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 06:09, David Van Assche<dvanassche at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>    We are having a collaborative sugar testing session next week
>> Wednesday
>> 10th June at 20:00 UTC (That is 4 pm EDT, 3pm EST, 2 pm CST, 1 pm
>> MST, and
>> 12 pm PST, most of Europe that will be 9 pm, 8 pm for the UK)
>>
>> So far we have 5 people signed up, but more are welcome as we
>> really want to
>> see how collaboration works on many activities where it isn't quite
>> obvious.
>> We will be taking notes and storing log files of the sessions, and
>> will
>> suggest ways in which the activity in question might be more
>> collaborative,
>> or may need less of it (who knows :-)
>>
>> We will be testing the activities that come preinstalled on the
>> openSUSE
>> sugar images, but we'd like to test various distribution methods
>> (virtual
>> appliance, cd, usb, hd) and various distros (at least Fedora SoaS,
>> openSUSE
>> sugar, Mandriva or Caixa Magica) I dont believe 0.82 images are
>> compatible
>> with 0.84 for collaboration, so am afraid this is for 0.84 only...
>
> What do you mean by "compatible for collaboration" and why do you
> think it won't work between 0.82 and 0.84?

Just wanted to chime in here, and great idea by the way!

FWIW, I don't remember any Activity releases announcing they had
broken collaboration with previous releases, so issues should be down
to general collaboration bugs within an Activity, Sugar collaboration
code, the server/network infrastructure, or possibly the dirsto/
platform (e.g a few months back Fedoras default firewall setting was
blocking local collaboration). It's very much worth keeping track of
Sugar version, activity version, distro as you test, that way you can
re-test a bug with different combinations to help isolate where the
fault is (also testing later in a local salute environment can isolate
issues caused by Jabber server use).

You will bump into faults... if you want to make a real difference,
finding clearly repeatable cases is the absolute gold standard in
getting fixes (random fail reports are interesting but rarely
actionable). Wednesday 10th June (I'll be there) will be a fair shake
of the tree. Later, in more controlled version/release/network/distro
environments each issue can be re-tested, confirmed-reproducible,
isolated as far as possible and trac reported.

Regards,
--Gary