[Sugar-devel] Using Trac via email

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jun 5 10:14:01 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 03:05:56PM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:

>>> There's a Trac plugin for creating new tickets for incoming emails,
>>> but nothing to manipulate (including commenting on) existing bug
>>> reports. :(
>> There's a Perl Net::Trac module:
>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-Trac/ but I failed to locate any
>> sample scripts atually using it.
> It'd probably be best to write/use a Trac plugin instead, as the
> XML-RPC interface obviously needs online access. There's a generic one
> for email interfaces [1] that includes creating a new ticket as a
> sample script, but probably could be used to manipulate tickets as
> well.

I would be more interested in a terminal-based generic Trac client, even
if it had no offline mode, than an email-based Sugar-spcific interface.

Why?  Because I am involved in many projects, not only Sugar, and I do
not want to juggle too many custom interfaces.

So if Trac generically had some client-server ABI that I could expect
would be available at many other Trac installations, then sure it would
make more sense to use that in favor of some externally hacked-together
Perl library.  But it seems to me that Trac do *not* have such ABI, only
a server-side API that could be used to _develop_ some custom
client-server interaction creature.

Mailman also has no client-server ABI.  I quite efficiently handle
moderator duties with the Perl-based "listadmin" tool.  It is an ugly
hack for an ugly web-only interface, and I would not expect to find
anything nicer for Trac.

I was hoping to find something comparable to PyBugz:
http://www.liquidx.net/pybugz/

Apparently no such thing currently exist.

> As always, somebody with enough time needs to step up to actually do
> the work...

Not always: only until someone does the work, in a good enough quality
that it is kept alive, if not by the author then by others with interest
in same tool.

  - Jonas

- --