[Sugar-devel] [GSoC] progress report

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 5 10:08:37 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 16:01, Lucian Branescu<lucian.branescu at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/5 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:

>>> Sizing isn't really an issue. The permission dialog appears and is the
>>> size I would expect, but there's nothing in it.
>>
>> That sounds like a problem with the gears installation (cannot find
>> the chrome). Once you solve that, you will find that the user cannot
>> grant privileges to the site because the dialog is too small.
>>

> Oh.

>>> Saving state is not really an issue. At least current web apps are
>>> built so that they do not lose any data if they suddenly die and some
>>> of them also resume from where the left off. For most, it would be
>>> enough to save the URL.
>>
>> Well, I was talking about saving state to the journal.
>>
>>> Ideally, it would be better to serialise the webview, if possible.
>>
>> What do you mean by that?
>
> I had this wild idea that I should be able to pickle the WebView and store that.

I'm not sure if that would work, my guess is that debugging that would
be quite hard. Keep also in mind that there are XPCOM and GObject
instances as part of WebView's state, so pickling all that would be a
problem.

> However, since I decided to use Browse as much as possible, I realised
> that Browse already does all the integration with the Journal, except
> for extensions (like Gears). So Browse should probably be fixed to
> store the extension profiles as part of state, not data, but I'm not
> sure if that is correct behaviour.

What do you mean by extension profiles? And about state vs. data?

When I talk about the journal, I use to refer to all the stuff that
the activity stores in the journal as the "activity state". "Metadata"
would be the structured part of the state and "data" would be a blob
containing the rest of the state.

Regards,

Tomeu