[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [Marketing] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jun 4 08:01:37 EDT 2009

On 4 Jun 2009, at 12:24, Sean DALY wrote:

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Boot_Logo
>
> Christian - I myself prefer the "rays" to dots which I feel too
> closely resemble networks in the Neighborhood view, confusion is
> possible (networks being connected to at startup?)

Coloured dots resembling access-point icons, hadn't twigged with, me
but I do see your point now you've mentioned it. I'm still playing
safe with a simple all grey vote at the moment ;-)

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Refined-XO-sugar-boot.gif

> Fred - I'm willing to try that sunrise metaphor, tonight if I can
> (travelling today)
>
> Re splash page with logo: in my next mockup I'll leave off the example
> school logo.and move that frame to the end. It might be better to
> "reserve" a frame for customizable logo or message, before or after
> the Sugar spash page

Hmmm, think this will destroy the whole idea of making the boot
process animation a transition into a working user interface. If it's
just going to show some random branding at the end, there's little
benefit in trying to initially transition gracefully (might as well
make the whole sequence some branding message).

> Version info: In fact I feel strongly about showing version
> information... or its corollary, making it easy to find. Teachers,
> parents, admins, G1G1 donors unfamiliar with Sugar will not have the
> foggiest idea how to hunt down version information (Learners might not
> have trouble finding it - they will explore their machines ad
> infinitum - but they can't be expected to know about versioning). We
> are about to embark on hundreds of thousands of XO-1.5s running v0..84
> which will coexist with a huge installed base of v0.82 (and many
> earlier); SoaS with its simplified numbering scheme will (we hope) sow
> the seeds for preinstalled Sugar in distributions for education
> projects. We may be deploying v0.86 at the end of the year... aside
> from how we manage the Activity compatibility matrix, we need to make
> such info *extremely* easy to track down for someone interested in
> checking if Sugar + Activities are "up-to-date". Our strategy for
> teacher buy-in is star marketing on Activities (see press releases);
> making Activity installation/upgrade simple this summer is part of
> what we need to do to make SoaS possible in the classroom. Helping
> users understand what version they have (of Sugar, of each Activity)
> is a key aspect of that.
>
> I agree that it's unpleasant to see numbers at boot time (especially a
> datestamped snapshot number). Why don't we borrow an idea from Apple?
> They have a tiny apple icon in the upper-left corner of the screen;
> clicking on it opens a window with the processor, RAM and OSX version
> number. In addition to the "About my computer" section in the Control
> Panel, perhaps we could show the version in the Frame? The bottom bar
> has room I think.

-1, to misc numbers in the frame.

> When we start to get consolidated feedback, we will know if
> difficult-to-find version info is a problem for Sugar / Activity
> updaters or not.

We really need to solve this technically (as best we can), not make
folks need hunt through compatibility lists to see if their Sugar
version number allows them to install and run some Activity.

Regards,
--Gary

> I feel sure it is and showing the version in the
> Frame (the one-glance status communicator) seems to me a good approach
> which would let us skip info in the splash screen.
>
> Nota: my idea would be for each version to change the Sugar logo color
> too... potentially allowing troubleshooters to ask "what color is the
> Sugar logo?" and match that to the version number.
>
> thanks
>
> Sean
>

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Please indulge me to make another pitch for the 'sunrise' metaphor
>> for the
>> growing ring.
>> Using the same color locations, the ring would build from sunrise
>> orange to
>> midday yellow to afternoon greens and blues to dusky red-violets
>> (perhaps
>> the darker one last).  These are just common earth metaphors that
>> might come
>> to mind as children worldwide--who may have never seen a analog or
>> digital
>> clock--anticipate what may be waiting for them in their day ahead
>> of them.
>> The ring would also build from one foot, and end symmetrically on the
>> other--a growth surrounding the nascent learner like a cover--a
>> home--a safe
>> shelter for learning or a shower of celestial opportunities.  "Will
>> I grow
>> too like the graphic is suggesting?"
>> OK, these are just potential metaphors...
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like that a lot.
>>> I'm with others on leaving the version number as well to the
>>> 'About my
>>> Computer' panel. (It can be referenced and then read as needed after
>>> booting, whereas the vanishing boot image just makes me nervous
>>> about
>>> writing down or memorizing a long number.)
>>> The Green Hornet, would of course only appear on a 'Graphic
>>> guidelines'
>>> page for deployments and packagers.
>>> I suggest you try this sequence:
>>> 1. a short, blank white field (infinite potential)
>>> 2. the small xo figure (just possibly me in a big universe)