[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [Marketing] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Jun 4 07:55:34 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 01:24:26PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Boot_Logo
>
> Christian - I myself prefer the "rays" to dots which I feel too
> closely resemble networks in the Neighborhood view, confusion is
> possible (networks being connected to at startup?)

The rays are too dominant, IMHO.  The circles suffer from the
confusion you mention, and the dots (gray) are just right.

> Re splash page with logo: in my next mockup I'll leave off the example
> school logo.and move that frame to the end. It might be better to
> "reserve" a frame for customizable logo or message, before or after
> the Sugar spash page

I think that information is great to work in, but it won't be too
visible (thus useful) in just one frame, will it?

> Version info: In fact I feel strongly about showing version
> information...or its corollary, making it easy to find.

+1

> I agree that it's unpleasant to see numbers at boot time (especially a
> datestamped snapshot number).

In grey it's not, IMHO.

> Nota: my idea would be for each version to change the Sugar logo color
> too...

Much less obtrusive, perhaps, and still effective.  I guess we'll run
out of easily-differentiable fill colours in a few years, but that's a
different bridge...

> thanks
>
> Sean

Martin