[Sugar-devel] Unbootable machine

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jun 1 12:38:23 EDT 2009

Caroline Meeks wrote:
> Luke and Sasha are working on a new USB format that they feel will allow
> more machines to boot and support VM + Stick
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/USB_format
>
> Perhaps the issue you are running into (which we have definitely seen
> before) is related to some of the ones they are looking at and part of
> why they need two boot partitions that are slightly different.

I don't understand why 128 heads.  64 heads is the more compatible version.

I presume the notion of partition 1 and 4 is to deal with things that
have an odd notion of zipdisks.  I have personally not seen any devices
which will only boot with partition 1 or only with partition 4, if you
have any such information I would appreciate it.

Part of me also wonders if using EXTLINUX might not be easier for you, too.

	-hpa