[Sugar-devel] Journal files on regular desktop

torello torello at torosoft.com
Tue Jun 2 17:27:13 EDT 2009

C. Scott Ananian ha scritto:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 09:47, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>> So OLPC intends to pre-install both Sugar and Gnome on the XO 1.5.
>>> That means it would be rather desirable to use documents made in Sugar
>>> in Gnome, and possibly (a bit less importantly) vice versa. E.g.,
>>> images, movies, texts, Etoys projects, etc in the Sugar Journal should
>>> be easily accessible in Gnome. Do we have plans to facilitate this?
>> We have plans but nobody working on this currently. We want to have a
>> filesystem view of the journal that can be browsed from the cli and
>> from nautilus, and a more complete way of browsing filesystems from
>> Sugar.
>>
>> Torello already wrote a proof of concept FUSE plugin that allows
>> browsing the Journal. I think the ideal would be a gvfs plugin that
>> would give us both integration with the Gtk virtual fs and a FUSE
>> mountpoint. Then the journal would appear in the Nautilus sidebar.
>>
>> About a hierarchical file browser in Sugar, I think we need it anyway
>> for removable devices, but I'm not sure where we would put such a
>> window and how it would look like.
>
> At the risk of boring listeners: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal2
>
> Perhaps someone would like to take all these various proofs-of-concept
> and run with them, to produce something shippable.  (The nautilus
> plugin is a cute idea.)
>  --scott

Hi to all,

my proof-of-concept is on gitorius here:
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/fsgateway

The only depencency is mono and mono-fuse. Actually to run it you need
to specify the sugar datastore path (ex:
/home/liveuser/.sugar/default/datastore) and the mountpoint.

Now I working about the suggestion that Tomeu sent to me several time ago.

I know that mono is not the perfect framework for sugar but:
- this package seems to work
- mono is shipper with FC11
- this package is used not only for sugar-datastore
Obviously when all is ok will be not a great work move from mono to C.

Cheers, Torello