[Sugar-devel] Journal files on regular desktop

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jun 2 06:16:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 09:47, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> So OLPC intends to pre-install both Sugar and Gnome on the XO 1.5.
> That means it would be rather desirable to use documents made in Sugar
> in Gnome, and possibly (a bit less importantly) vice versa. E.g.,
> images, movies, texts, Etoys projects, etc in the Sugar Journal should
> be easily accessible in Gnome. Do we have plans to facilitate this?

We have plans but nobody working on this currently. We want to have a
filesystem view of the journal that can be browsed from the cli and
from nautilus, and a more complete way of browsing filesystems from
Sugar.

Torello already wrote a proof of concept FUSE plugin that allows
browsing the Journal. I think the ideal would be a gvfs plugin that
would give us both integration with the Gtk virtual fs and a FUSE
mountpoint. Then the journal would appear in the Nautilus sidebar.

About a hierarchical file browser in Sugar, I think we need it anyway
for removable devices, but I'm not sure where we would put such a
window and how it would look like.

Regards,

Tomeu