[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2009-06-01

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jun 1 14:36:46 EDT 2009

On 1 Jun 2009, at 14:11, Martin Dengler wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 07:51:08AM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
>> ===Sugar Digest ===
>> ===Help Wanted===
>>
>> 6. My plea for help this week is in regard to orphaned activities.
>> There is a list of activities with no active maintainer
>> [[Activity_Team/Activity_Status]] in the wiki. Adopting one or more
>> of
>> these activities would make a great summer project and be a practical
>> way into Sugar development.
>
> Unfortunately the page mentioned isn't that helpful, as it doesn't
> say which activities are orphaned:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Activity_Status
>
> I'd very much like this information to be able to point UK Laptop
> Lending Library[1] lendees to activities which are orphaned that they
> might play around with to get a flavour for Sugar Activity
> development.
>
> If nobody has / will make any plans to update this page, I propose to
> mark all activities whose status is blank to have the status
> "orphaned" and then wait for the hate mail (and ownership claims) to
> flow in.
>
> Any better ideas please action them (I can think of plenty of better
> ideas, but lack the time to implement them).

There is a lot more information than shown on that page, the wiki page
was an early shot at presenting some of it (as I remember). There are
also several spread sheets kicking around in various states and
attempts to track Activities, their Authors and orphaned status and
who's looking after what (for ~130+ odd Activities).

Perhaps it would be sane to only manually keep a wiki table of know
abandoned activities, ideally just missing gems we hope to find homes
for? If an activity is adopted is should disappear from the page given
that should start to appear out in the regular SL Activity
infrastructure. Equally, if an author is no longer able to maintain a
project, we should point them to the table and ask that they add their
orphaned Activity.

Help welcome!

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Seems intern projects and other such sprints are great for
kicking out Activity code, but seems statistically few have had the
stamina/time needed to maintain it past the end date.

P.P.S as Activities move over to the SL infrastructure, keeping track
of this will be much saner; here's the main SL infrastructure resources.

	http://git.sugarlabs.org (home of Sugar Labs git repositories)
	http://dev.sugarlabs.org (bug, feature & task developer tickets)
	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities (community wiki page for an
Activity)