[Sugar-devel] Unbootable machine

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Mon Jun 1 13:57:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:38:23AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/USB_format
> I don't understand why 128 heads.  64 heads is the more compatible
> version.
I simply chose the largest possible power of two. As you point out, 64
is actually better because that's what ZIP disks use. We talked about
this on IRC today, but the wiki page hasn't been updated yet.

> Part of me also wonders if using EXTLINUX might not be easier for you,
> too.
Part of our problem is that we don't know what quirks actually exist in
real hardware, so we're trying to come up with something that hopefully
is as compatible as possible. Using FAT is part of that.
If we'd know for sure using ext2 would work equally there's no reason
not to use it. BTW: How does Windows handle USB sticks with "unknown"
formatting?

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/