[Sugar-devel] [Localization] Help activity

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 06:44:05 EDT 2009

Seth Woodworth wrote:
> If not for Rainbow I think that the help activity and the browser could access the same material.

?? I can visit file:///home/olpc/Activities/Help.activity/help/XO_Introduction.html
fine in Browse in 8.2.1. (Does having a developer key affect Rainbow
file access restrictions?)

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com> responded:
> <snip>
>>
>>  The point of having the Help activity as its own icon was to put it as
>> close and easy to the user as possible.  ...
>
> As is now, an inconspicuous icon among many, low usability score.

I think a prominent help icon and "Need help?" text on Browse's start
page would be far more discoverable than a (?) among many, but I live
in the browser.

The OLPC 8.2.1 start page is
http://dev.laptop.org/git/library/library-activity/tree/library-common/layout.tmpl
Code rebuilds the nifty expanding Library of local content whenever
you install content, see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Library , this
could also detect installation of local help.

The SugarLabs start page is
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/browse/repos/mainline/blobs/master/data/index.html
Sugar distributions lack the expanding Library (SL ticket 574) but
maybe that's moot if http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Library
comes to fruition.

You can determine in JavaScript if there's a local help manual in the
file system or not and create a link to it accordingly; seems-to-work
code is at http://www.skierpage.com/olpc/show_help.html

Seth:
> I really really really owe the Sugar community a long email documenting
> what the heck went on with the Help activity last year

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/FLOSSManuals has a section ready and waiting ;-)

Cheers,
--
=S Page