[Sugar-devel] Additional data for corrupted SoaS

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Jul 31 12:24:28 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Dave Bauer <dave at solutiongrove.com> wrote:

> I created a SoaS with livecd-iso-to-disk.sh which has 1) overlay for
> squahsfs operation system changes 2) home.img for /home.
>
> I started it up and tried to corrupt it by unplugging during shutdown.
> I was able to break all activities by corrupting the datastore.
>
> Here is an example log from the Log activity startup
> http://pastebin.com/m810ce7e
>
> I was also unable to remove the datastore files due to ext3fs errors
> when I tried rm -rf ~/.sugar/default/datastore
>
> Some discussion on irc of possible solutions or at least improvements:
> 12:01 < tomeu> daveb: there are some fs params that may reduce this risk
> 12:04 < silbe> daveb: i recommend data=journal on every ext3 filesystem
>               carrying data, even though it's significantly slower
>

> Dave
>
> --
> Dave Bauer
> dave at solutiongrove.com
> http://www.solutiongrove.com

Is it possible to unmount /home after the writing is done and it sits idle
for x seconds? I vaguely remember LTSP doing something like this for USB
stick in that environment.  David Van Assche might know... Here's something
more http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LtspFSAutomount

cheers,
Sameer
--