[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 16:02:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 07/29/2009 07:03 PM, Gary C Martin wrote:
>>
>> Hi Simon,

>>> Gary, I am not sure I get your arguments right :/ Can you elaborate?
>>> What I conclude of all the answers, I think that space in the primary
>>> toolbar is an issue. So we need to decide what to put there. Does
>>> activity icon and stop icon sounds good to you as well?
>>
>> Sorry if that wasn't clear. Activity icon and stop icon are essential.
>> The Activity icon is going to be critical for identifying what activity
>> you are in at a glance, especially if the actual title name is hidden
>> away in a sub toolbar. A downside if we loose the title in the primary
>> toolbar is reinforcement of knowing what activity you are in (say you
>> are copy/pasting between two similar Write documents)...
>
> Ok, thanks for the explanation. The differentiation of the running instance
> of two activities of the same type is a good point. But, does this happen
> often? I guess many kids will run one activity of each type at a time, and
> remember performance constraints ;p And one can use the frame to distinguish
> the activities.

I often copy items from one open instance of an activity to another...
e.g., grabbing a passage from a Write doc to paste into another.
Keeping both open, as oppose to opening and closing is advantageous (I
can alt-tab or use the frame to switch back and forth). But there is
not an issue with names in those cases.

> Personally, I see more the issue of naming an activity, since as said in
> another post I am not really convinced about the naming alert.
>
> One little thing I am a bit worried about, is that we miss labels for the
> sub-toolbars. I hope the icons are meaningful enough for the users - but
> then labels can be misleading as well, and many of our users can't possibly
> read.

Are there not tool tips?

> About alignment (attached is a snapshot), should we align the 'share button'
> and the 'keep one' to the left that the way to get to this button is not so
> long, when revealing the toolbar?
>
> Thanks,
>   Simon

-walter