[Sugar-devel] Scaling options for sugar-emulator?

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:06:26 EDT 2009

I'm wondering if the options for sugar-emulator are documented
somewhere.  I couldn't find anything.

This is what I'm trying to do:  I need to do a desktop recording of
Sugar in action.  When I try to do this with sugar-emulator running
with no options the window size is much too large to record
effectively.  My computer can't keep up, and even if it could the
final video I'd be making would likely be no larger than 640x480 so
capturing a larger image should be unnecessary.

This morning I tried running sugar-emulator with several values for
-i.  The one that worked best was -i 1000x600.  I could capture this
easily and none of the controls on the screen were chopped off.  (The
controls were larger than I would have liked but they fit).  I notice
however that sugar-emulator has other options, including one for
scale, and I wonder if these options could give me still better
results.  It is not obvious to me what these options do and how to use
them and I could not find a man page for sugar-emulator.

The end result needs to be a 640x480 video where everything looks in
proportion just like a real Sugar screen would look, or as close to
that as possible.  What sugar-emulator options can I use to achieve
that?  I am willing to capture at a larger size and resize the video

Thanks,

James Simmons