[Sugar-devel] SoaS Getting stuck at the Fedora Login Screen

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:03:52 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Caroline
Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> This week I'm focusing on issue that make it hard to deploy SoaS.
>
> One of these is stick failures.  I believe there is more then one cause to
> stick failures so I'm going to try to attack them one a time, we don't have
> to get it to 0 but right now its a major disruption, almost every class
> someone has a broken stick.
>
> The most common sort of failure mode seems to be that the stick gets stuck
> at the Fedora Login Screen.
>
> Any ideas what is happening?

I tested this.

Test plan
1) Boot sugar
2) Right click on XO icon, shutdown.
3) When screen turns black, unlug the USB in a presumably unsafe manner
4) Restart with USB to see if it still works

I had to do this two times. When I do Shutdown, the screen goes blank
with a cursor, if I unplug there it is still OK. Then some text
flashes on the screen, (i could to read it). If I unplug there it
corrupts the USB. When I boot from the corrupted USB I get the Fedora
login screen with no username entered.

To fix I took a working SoaS and found the file
/LiveOS/overlay-FEDORA-xxxx-xxxx and I copied that over the broken
SoaS, keeping the original overlay-FEDORA-xxxx-xxxx filename. This is
keyed into the boot parameters so you need to make sure it matches. In
/syslinux/syslinux.cfg the kernel params root= and overlay= refer to
this file. The file is named overlay-LABEL-xxxx-xxxx where xxxx-xxxx
are apparently random alphanumeric characters.

After replacing the overlay, i restarted again and booted sucessfully
into sugar.

Dave