[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] press release opportunity...

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Jul 29 21:23:19 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2009, at 21:35, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>  Begin handwaving.
>>
>> LiveUSB came from the world of LiveCD and with it came an "overlay"
>> concept to enable writing in what had been a read-only world. It is
>> not clear that the approach was intended for more than demonstration
>> purposes, in order to show off the power of Fedora Linux. That would
>> suggest that in the long run, we may need to revisit the way in which
>> we manage user data on our images.
>>
>> End handwaving.
>>

> +1
>
> My gut feeling is we don't want a LiveUSB, we want a bootable USB with a
> regular install on it. Ideally being installed from a LiveCD, that can
> either directly boot and demo Sugar, install to a USB stick, or install to a
> hard-disk. Once booted we'd want the minimum of file writes to maximise a
> stick lifetime, and reduce the chance of a write landing as a child unplugs.
>
> Regards,
> --Gary

+1 except I think that we need it sooner not later.
It is the most likely suspect on most of our stick failures. We will have
upset teachers and kids if its not more reliable plus added expense and time
costs.

It is a blocker on:

   - Reading things you've created on your Sugar Stick on a Windows or Mac
   machine.
   - Createing a VM that can switch stick based users without rebooting out
   of the native OS- This will help usability quite a bit on the Mac Laptops
   the GPA will be using next year.

I'm going to try to create a spec and publicize our need for help to my
network. I'd love help with both parts of that.
--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove

617-500-3488 - Office