[Sugar-devel] buddy tagging

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jul 29 16:12:25 EDT 2009

On 29 Jul 2009, at 11:15, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> have added a "tags" property to buddies but it will work only for
> Jabber connections for now.
>
> In order to make it work for Salut, quite a bit of work would be
> needed in the connection manager. Things get a bit more complex
> because telepathy-salut is going to be heavily refactored really soon
> now. Adding Sjoerd to CC in case he wants to comment or correct me.
>
> What do people think, should we have tags in 0.86 only when using
> ejabberd or should we push to make it work in salut as well?

Well ejabberd was definitely the first to have solved as it represents
a solution for a more dispersed community, less likely to know about
the others. But both would obviously be much more consistent – If you
told me 'journal grid view' won't happen, or tool bar 'stop' always
visible won't happen, or 'ad-hoc wirless networks' won't happen, or
'tags under Journal titles' won't happen, or 'Metacity layering issue
will persist' – I'd say let salut slip to 0.88 or whenever it's
heavily re-factoring arrives safely :-)

> Gary, the tags that will be published will come from a GConf entry
> that could be set from a control panel section, does it sound good?

Absolutely fantastic! We may find somewhere to expose this higher up
(less clicks), but the "About Me" CP module is clearly the first home
this "My tags" input box should be found.

General question: I really do like the simple 'first' boot experience,
pick colours (though UI here could be a lot less 'random'), enter
name, and your are done! Great! What do folks think about exposing an
optional self tag prompt at this point? Wording is going to be tough,
and would likely need some prompting example tags. As a challenge,
feel free to reply with some single word tag lists you might assign to
yourself...

Regards,
--Gary