[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2009-07-28

Martin Sevior msevior at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 21:07:49 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Walter Bender<walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> ===Sugar Digest===

<snip>
> Here is where the trouble began. First of all, the version of Turtle
> Art I used to build the game is newer than the version they had
> installed on their machines. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but
> I had used a block that they didn't have, so the sharing halted part
> way through. The good news is that Sebastian Dziallias pushed a change
> for Sugar on a Stick to contain all activities packaged as XO files,
> meaning that all activities can update. (Presently, it is non-trivial
> to update activities that had been distributed as RPM.) The bad news
> is, Turtle Art, being part of Fructose, had been distributed as RPM on
> the Gardner School sticks. So I will have to update them by hand.
>
> But had sharing worked, I still would have run into some problems,
> since once, shared, always shared. I discussed the problem with Ben
> Schwartz in IRC:

<snip>

Hi Walter,
              Here is what we decided to do for AbiWord collaboration
to our web service (http://abicollab.net) when faced with this
problem.
If a user does a "save as" the document is saved locally (rather than
remotely) with a different name. If the user also drops out of the
collaboration all the changes she makes will made to the local file.
At this point the document is forked and as things currently stand
cannot be automatically merged back into the original. Of course it
can be manually merged via cut/paste etc.

I'm not sure this is sufficient for what you need but I think it is
sufficient for documents at least.

Cheers

Martin