[Sugar-devel] sounds in Speak

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Jul 28 20:48:39 EDT 2009

Hello everybody,

This afternoon, I had an interesting conversation with a Montessori teacher,
about Speak. She asked me why Speak says "a" when "a" is pressed and not the
*sound* of the letter "a". Montessori teachers teach the shape and sound of
letters first, and then the name of the alphabet. I did not have an answer
for her, but I wondered if it would be possible to have an option in Speak
to do so.

I'd imagine that the sound of the letter would vary depending on language,
right?

cheers,
Sameer
--