[Sugar-devel] [Csnd] Re: Latest Project

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:52:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

> I did a fresh install of Sugar on a Stick, and found that the current
> csound-python package doesn't install with the updated Csound5.10. I assume
> Peter has taken the python package down (or whatever) to work on it. You can
> just install csound-python by itself and it will upgrade Csound to 5.10 (an
> earlier, supposedly compatible build) but that combo gives the same
> problemmatic results.

No Peter hasn't taken the package down. All the packages are linked,
you can't just take one down. A clean SoaS install without it means
that the other packages that depend on it haven't setup the
dependencies properly. You had to manually install csound-python the
last clean install you did as well.

> I've also spotted another issue. Though Csound is set for ALSA audio drivers
> (whether they are specified in CsOptions or not), it cannot find them and
> aborts with "can't open device "plughw" for audio output. Seems we need to
> get audio output straightened up as well. Note: this was not a problem with
> OLPCsound (5.08); ALSA drivers were expected and found, whether they were
> specified or not. (Though this is fine with me, canonical Csound normally
> defaults to portaudio on all platforms - so I didn't expect this behavior.
> Perhaps XO/Sugar/OLPCsound purposefully doesn't include portaudio?)

portaudio isn't used in Fedora, do you mean pulseaudio?

> I'm not sure where this leaves us.

Exactly the same spot as we were before.

> Peter, can you give us an update?

No update. I don't have time to work on it at the moment but patches
are always welcome.

Peter