[Sugar-devel] community influence on development

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jul 28 16:01:24 EDT 2009

2009/7/28 Philippe Clérié <philippe at gcal.net>:
> On Tuesday 28 July 2009 04:48:25 Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>> Yes, if deployers make very clear what is a priority for them and
>> do so in a compelling way, I'm sure volunteer developers will
>> make their plans accordingly.
>
> Perhaps the highest priority should be a Live CD/USB that is easily
> and reliably installable on the hard disk of a machine. I've now
> tried strawberry and Sugar on Fedora and neither is satisfactory;
> Sugar on Ubuntu does not work. The only thing that works is Sugar on
> a stick and that may not be a good solution. In fact, I think I'm on
> the verge of commiting a sin: take the path of least resistance and
> go with XP versions of the Mini 110.

Yes, the SoaS team is working on this feature for their next release.
Feel free to ask for details if you would like to help or do some
early testing.

> More generally, I think that what is really missing in Sugar (and
> for that matter, OLPC) is a conversation between developers and
> educators. Last year I signed up for several lists on OLPC,
> including one for educators and one for research. There was no
> activity on either. I haven't tracked them so perhaps things have
> changed. I doubt it; there would be echoes on this list if they
> became more active.

Well, you are writing to sugar at lists.laptop.org, which used to be a
list for sugar-specific subjects when OLPC developed Sugar. When the
community took maintenance of Sugar, Sugar Labs was formed and new
mailing lists were created at sugarlabs.org.

sugar at lists.laptop.org is now redirected to sugar-devel at sugarlabs.org,
and this list is only for technical subjects specific to Sugar.
Anything not so technical about Sugar should go to iaep at sugarlabs.org,
where will reach the bigger community.

If you are interested in being involved in discussions with educators
about Sugar and more, IAEP is the list to be. If you consult the
archives, we have had very interesting discussions about learning with
Sugar and its role in the classroom:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/

I'm sorry you got confused by this. Do you have any recommendation so
we can make better known that OLPC isn't developing Sugar any more and
that it's in Sugar Labs where Sugar is discussed?

To all the participants in this thread: please move all discussions
that are not strictly technical to IAEP. Otherwise we are excluding a
very important part of our community and this is a critical subject.

Thanks,

Tomeu