[Sugar-devel] Bundle Activity

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:39:41 EDT 2009

Eben,

I tried out this Bundle Activity just now.  It isn't fully functional
and throws Keep errors.  The concept of it seems sound though.  If I
was to create a version of this I'd try to implement a subset of View
Slides, the part which enables a user to take images in the Journal
and add them to a zip archive to create a slide show.  For Bundle I
would open it up so it could add any kind of Journal entry, but I
would keep the preview for images.  I would also support extracting
individual zip entries to create Journal entries (something I had
planned to add to View Slides already).

If there was an Activity like that the Children's Library project
could use it to distribute their collection.  They would simply
package the GIF previews and DjVu files together, giving them
meaningful names like this:

The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain.djvu
The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain.gif

The children browsing the archive could get a preview of the book by
selecting the GIF then select the book itself to create a Journal
entry for it.  No catalog file would be needed; it would only be
necessary to give the files meaningful names.

James Simmons