[Sugar-devel] Participatory design for IT solutions aimed at children

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 06:46:45 EDT 2009

Since the topic often comes up when Bryan and me are talking about Karma
related design and it's also related to an ongoing discussion about toolbar
design testing on #sugar I thought the following paper might be of interest
to some of you.

"Designing a Digital Library for Young Children: An Intergenerational
Partnership"
http://hcil.cs.umd.edu/trs/2000-18/2000-18.pdf

It describes the design process used during the development of the ICDL (
http://en.childrenslibrary.org/) at UMD's Human-Computer Interaction Lab.

I'm definitely not suggesting that we copy-paste this process (well, and
it's not like we have the necessary resources) but I do think it's very
interesting food for thought and should provide us with some queues for
future Sugar design planning and discussions.

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer