[Sugar-devel] Datastore DBus API (was: Re: TuxPaint and saving to journal)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Jul 28 05:48:36 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 08:04:34PM -0400, Ton van Overbeek wrote:

> Yes, but it was/is not clear to me if this up-to-date.
Take a look at the "Current DBus API" section of my datastore redesign
proposal [1] for a description of the current API (as of 0.84). The
"Proposed datastore DBus API" section shows what might change for 0.86
(not decided yet, but IMO quite likely).
Please consider wrapping low-level DBus stuff inside a C module that
works similar to sugar.datastore.datastore. This would help other
developers sugarize their applications (written in low-level languages).

With regard to metadata, the corresponding section in Berts guide [2] is
the best description of current usage (see also "Command Line Arguments"
[3]). It's a bit of a mess currently ("uid" vs "object_id", usage of
"activity_id" for non-Session objects, ...) so I'm proposing moving to
new names with clear definitions ("ID / metadata definitions" in [1])
for 0.86. This might be a bit painful for activities that use the
datastore non-trivially, but those should only be a few (Browse,
Library, GIAB).

Hope this answers at least some of your questions. Feel free to ask some
more detailed ones so I can answer in depth.

[1]
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/versionsupport-project/repos/mainline/blobs/master/datastore-redesign.html
(follow "raw blob data")
[2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Meta_Data