[Sugar-devel] community influence on development

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Jul 28 05:39:13 EDT 2009

quoting Tomeu from another thread (with no bad feelings at all):

"Sugar Labs has currently no resources to focus on anything, it
depends on volunteers doing whatever they want. I chose to spend my
time to make easier for more people to bring their knowledge and
experience to Sugar and the community has no say on this."

Perfectly reasonable answer and this kind of development model works
well for open source projects, including this one. However, I feel
like it could be better if the community (who I might even stretch to
call "customers") could have more influence.

so..to create an open thread:

What are the options for the community having more of an influence here?
One would be to somehow get sugarlabs to hire people, and somehow
process "customer" feedback and assign technical tasks to payroll
developers. Are there others?

Having now visited 3 large deployments I feel frustrated that most of
the features and changes entering sugar are not increasing
deployability or increasing the educational impact of the platform.
General technical and usability improvements are always needed (and
are always of value) but I feel that the balance is wrong and I feel
that I have not been very successful in getting community members to
understand the needs of deployments.

Daniel